Prayer For A Coming Election
POTENTIAL CANDIDATES TO BE AWARE OF THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES IF ELECTED
1. Pray that candidates will recognise their responsibilities.
Romans 13: 1-5 - Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.
Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves.
For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same.
For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience' sake.
2. Pray that candidates will recognise how they can affect the future of a nation by the way they fulfil their responsibilitieis.
Ezra 10:4 - "Arise, for this matter is your responsibility. …… Be of good courage, and do it.''
3. Pray that candidates will be aware that they represent people when they take up a parliamentary role.
Proverbs 14:28 - In a multitude of people is a king's (or leader’s) honour, but in the lack of people is the downfall of a prince.
GOD'S GUIDANCE FOR COMMITTEES AS THEY SELECT CANDIDATES
1. For wisdom of choice. This is uppermost as consideration is given to applicants
2. That choice will depend on greatest suitability.
Proverbs 22:29 - Do you see a man who excels in his work? He will stand before kings (leaders); he will not stand before unknown men.
3. That there will be no manipulation or inappropriate ‘deals’ affecting choice.
Proverbs 15:27 - He who is greedy for gain troubles his own house, but he who hates bribes will live.
Proverbs 29:4 - The king (leader) establishes the land by justice, but he who receives bribes overthrows it.
FOR CANDIDATES THAT THEY WILL BE:
1. People of good character.
Proverbs 3:3-4 - let not mercy and truth forsake you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart, and so find favour and high esteem in the sight of God and man.
2. People of wisdom.
Proverbs 4:7-9 - Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding. Exalt her, and she will promote you; she will bring you honour, when you embrace her. She will place on your head an ornament of grace; a crown of glory she will deliver to you.
3. People with political ability.
Proverbs 14:34 - Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people.
Proverbs 20:28 - Mercy and truth preserve the king (leader), and by loving kindness he upholds his throne.
4. People who are just, honest and trustworthy.
Proverbs 29:4 - The king establishes the land by justice, but he who receives bribes overthrows it.
Proverbs 29:2 - When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; but when a wicked man rules, the people groan.
5. People with good counsellors.
Proverbs 11:14 - Where there is no counsel, the people fall; but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.
6. People who understand the times and know what ought to be done.
1 Chronicles 12:32 - ........the children of Issachar who had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do.